ALERON recently launched their debut Christmas album “Dakilang Hiwaga,” which includes a wide variety of songs. Also included in the album are some songs from their European Concert and Competition tour repertoire. The group aims to further cement the Filipino’s reputation of having some of the world’s most formidable musicians through this trip. The group is set to compete in the most prestigious choral singing festivals and competitions from May to July of 2017. The most important leg of their tour is the 11th World Symposium for Choral Music which will be held in Barcelona, Spain. The event is hosted by the International Federation for Choral Music (IFCM) and will feature the world’s finest choirs and choral leaders. ALERON is one of IFCM’s ambassadors for 2017, and they are the only Filipino performer to have been invited to the event.
ALERON, translated from Latin as “the winged one,” is geared towards exploring the male choral soundscape. Through innovative programming and the performance of repertoires across musical styles and genres, the group aims to deliver to its audiences a diverse and unique choral experience.
ALERON first came into existence in 2006 as the alumni ensemble of the Ateneo de Manila High School Glee Club under the musical direction of Christopher Ong Arceo. Today, the group is composed of male choristers from different backgrounds: most of which are from the Ateneo de Manila University and University of the Philippines musical networks.
ALERON envisions to broaden the all-male choral genre by continuously commissioning and premiering new works throughout its concert seasons. To date, the group has performed original works by several established and up-and-coming Filipino composers such as Josefino Chino Toledo, Robin Estrada and Mary Katherine Trangco.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- August 2013 – 1st Andrea O. Veneracion International Choral Festival
o 1st Place – Vocal Ensemble Category
- October 2014 – 10th Busan Choral Festival and Competition (Busan, South Korea)
o Gold Prize – Classical Equal Voices Category
o Grand Prix Overall Winner
- February 2015 – National Commission for Culture and the Arts
o Ani ng Dangal Award for Music
- July 2015 – 31st Takarazuka International Chamber Chorus Contest
o Gold Prize – Folklore Category
o Gold Prize – Contemporary Category
o Overall Winner
- November 2015 – 1st International Federation for Choral Music (IFCM)
World Choral Expo (Macau, China)
o Featured choir from the Philippines
- February 2016 – National Commission for Culture and the Arts
o Ani ng Dangal Award for Music
- “Aleron is not just an excellent choir, but an ideal community” – Prof. Eudenice Palaruan, Acclaimed Choral Pedagogue
- “Every time ALERON performs, they tell a convincing story. Excellent singing, substantive repertoire, innovative programming, and a humble presence that uplifts the soul.” – Dr. Beverly Shangkuan-Cheng, Conductor (Ateneo College Glee Club); Professor (UP College of Music)
- “A new instrument has emerged! The performances of ALERON have left the audience in awe and admiration. The broad spectrum of solid male voices of the group will surely provide reason and inspiration for composers to write new and interesting works for the expressive instrument that the group is becoming. We look forward to seeing and hearing more of ALERON and hopefully, for a long, long time.” – Mark Anthony Carpio, Choirmaster (Philippine Madrigal Singers)
- “It is truly rare to find choral groups, especially non-professionals, who are daring enough to tackle and perform contemporary compositions. But what also sets them apart, is the sincere interest and dedication of each singer to learn, understand, and critique these new works and a willingness to collaborate with the creative process of the composer. The Philippines, has found a new treasure in this group.” – Dr. Robin Estrada, Acclaimed Filipino Composer